Monday, February 4, 2013

A Mother's Soothing Words

Last week Shea had an ENT appointment.  This  is not out of the ordinary for us.  She goes every 6 months to have the excess wax removed from her ears so that her hearing aids can help her as much as possible.  Apparently she follows in her daddy's footsteps in this area because, he too, has a wax issue.  :)
The only thing different this time was the fact that her right ear, which is her "good" ear, appeared to have fluid.  My poor baby cried and cried when the Dr. cleaned the wax out of that ear.  He had her tested and, sure enough, the test showed fluid behind that eardrum.  This may be the result of the cold she had all last week, or it could become a chronic problem.  He gave us some nasal spray and an rx to help and we will be back to see him in a month.  This was such a traumatic event for Shea that she fell asleep in my lap while waiting for the doctor after the pressure test.  She NEVER falls asleep on my lap, much less an hour before nap time!  It always hurts me when she is so upset because I know that, unlike hearing children, I cannot calm her simply with my voice.  Of course, I do talk to her, with the hopes that feeling the vibrations as I speak will somehow comfort her.  And I sign to her that everything is OK, or that the doctor is all done, or what have you.  But the ache in my heart remains because I know she cannot her me when I tell her that Mommy won't let anything happen to her.  One day I know she will understand all this more, but for now all I can do is hold her tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment